This is a list of basic medicines and first aid items in readiness for treating minor illnesses and injuries around the home. They need replacing at regular intervals.
- Paracetamol tablets for relief of pain or fever.
- Paracetamol mixture, e.g. Calpol or Disprol for children.
- Aspirin/Nurofen as per Paracetamol. These have an additional anti-inflammatory effect therefore help joint pains. Avoid if you suffer from indigestion. Aspirin should not be given to children under 12 years of age.
- Phenergan Elixir useful in children with illness, e.g. cough disturbing the sleep, allergies and itch (eg chickenpox).
- Antihistamine tablets - adults and children over 12 for hay fever, allergic reactions and bites.
- Thermometer to monitor any fever.
- Anti-septic solution - eg Savlon or Dettol.
- Selection of plasters, dressings and bandages.
- Calamine Lotion for sunburn, insect bites and stings.